Shailee Stokes
4th Hour Honors English
September 7, 2010
The Sun goes down on Summer
When the sun goes down on my summer, I’m in a one hundred and ninty day black out. The last bell rings and I’m free.
Free to wear shorts that go above the knee. Free to wear tank tops and not have Mr. Mecham scream. I can wear flip flops and pull my hair back. The only make-up I wear is mud that will splash on me during a rainy days mud bog trip. No problem though, I’ll just jump in Joe’s Valley for a quick rinse. My clothes are filled with the smell of camp fire smoke and Aloe Vera relieves my skin from the suntan I attempted to get. My time is spent with long nights and sleepy days but just as I get accustomed to the luminous days and starry nights, the lights turn off.
Back to an eight hour sleep, pants that go longer than the knee and shirts with sleeves. My hot pink toe nails and flip-flop tan line is covered up by shoes and socks. My hair is done with curls that must rock. I sling my book bag on, that is sure to break my back. Off to school I go, just dreaming and waiting for the day that that summer sun will rise again. Back for another year filled with homework, drama and gossip. I go to class and learn about acids and bases but then I see people I haven’t seen for months. This isn’t so bad I think, and a smile crosses my face.
No comments:
Post a Comment